Sunday, October 25, 2009

sadness and disappointment

Yesterday I had a tea party with a discussion on Family Relationships, for the aerobic ladies. The plan was that one of the ladies would share and we would then have a discussion time. But the lady never got around to sharing. It turned into more of a "question from foreigners" time. I had hoped to also add some lessons from the Bible, but that didn't happen.

I was sad when it ended. I felt hopeless. The ladies had shared their stories and they weren't ones I would enjoy living. They said the most Important thing for Indian men is their egos. And they all agreed that men love their mothers more than their wives. The worst, all men are cheaters. Now I know this is not true, not all men need big egos, not all men love their mom's more, and not all men are cheaters. But for the ones who said this, it is their reality. And that is sad.

I asked a friend about the statement that all men are cheaters. Yes, she did indeed mean that they sexually cheat. And their wives are just to accept it. Wow! How sad! Oh, how much they need Jesus. How they must be hurting. But how inadequate I feel. How can I share with them without it seeming as my western point of view? To them it is just the way Indian men are.

So today I am thinking over what to do next. I think I need a Christian Indian woman to come share with them the hope that we have in Christ. I can be thankful for their openness in sharing with me. And I can weep for them.

No comments: