Monday, September 28, 2009

Rabies and God

I started thinking about rabies today. My parents are thinking of making a trip out to visit us and are starting to get their shots. They wonder if they should get the rabies shots.

A few years ago, Luke, who was 10, died of rabies. I had never met him but his story touched my heart. He and some other kids were friends with some of the homeless dogs around his house. One of the dogs was acting a bit weird. It didn't bite Luke, but possibly licked or scratched him. No one knows for sure. A few days later Luke got sick. He had a bad headache and fever. He started shaking and his throat hurt. His mom got a nurse friend to come check on him. She noticed several symptoms of rabies right away.

Luke's family lived close to a hospital. In fact, his dad worked at the hospital. But this was a small town and the hospital didn't have anything to help him. They suggested he make the 6 hour drive to Delhi. All the way to Delhi his parents were sitting with him as he got worse. He was acting violent at times and his dad had to hold him still. They knew there wasn't much that could be done for him anymore, so they talked to him about heaven. They told him that soon he would get to be with Jesus. In Delhi, the hospital said that the only thing they could do is lock him in a room and his parents could watch him through a window. They gave him some sedatives. His parents chose to go back to their small hospital where the staff loved Luke and they would have him die there. So they drove another 6 hours. Luke was given more sedatives to calm him down. He had a lot of anxiety, a lot of pain. Soon Luke died.

As a parent, thinking of going through this with my son, I know I would do anything to take his pain on myself. I would take the rabies, I would die. It would be so heart wrenching to watch my son die with so much pain. This thought made me think about mankind and what God must feel. He watches us, his children, with so much pain because of sin. He would do anything to take it on himself. And that is why he came to earth as a man, to take all our sickness upon himself and be the one to die in our place. A painful death. But he loves us so much that it was an easy decision.

I'm sure Luke's parents wish he wouldn't have played with the dogs that day. And I'm sure God wishes we had never chosen to sin.

3 comments:

Growin' With It said...

very moving post leslie. so very, very true! and sad for this poor family.

Unknown said...

You're making me cry, Leslie! But well written...

Kristi

Troy and Kimberly said...

Ugh - terrible story, but good reminder of God's love for us and our own terrible story. Thanks for sharing.