Sunday, September 20, 2009

Achy, Breaky Back

I am feeling older than my age. Like maybe 58 years old. I am walking around all bent over and slow. You see, on Saturday morning I threw my back out. I don't even know what that really means, but I think what I did is what people mean when they say it.

I was the only one awake and so I made my chai so I could sit and spend some quiet time with God. But then I saw all the laundry hanging on the rack and that would disturb me, so as my chai was cooling in the kitchen, I started folding the laundry. As I reached down to grab Steve's boxers off the bottom rack, a sharp pain crippled me. I couldn't move because of the pain. So I was left squatting. That hurt my legs after a while so I made it to the ground and just laid there.

As I was on the ground (and remember, these are hard, marble floors, not carpet), I kept thinking of my chai which was getting cold. Should I yell for Steve to come help me? No, I didn't want to scare him. So I just stayed where I was. Finally, about 20 minutes later, Steve came out. I said, "Hey there". He was shocked to see me on the floor. I told him I hurt my back and couldn't move, "could you bring me my chai?" It was cold by then. I got myself into a sitting position so I could drink it.

Eventually I got up. We had a baseball game to go to and I really wanted to go. So I slowly got dressed and got ready for the game. I was able to walk slowly and hunched over, looking quite old.

The cool thing is that I got to watch Micah play baseball. He even caught a fly ball. He slid into third and was safe. He hit the ball into outfield. It was all worth it. So even with an achy back, I loved watching him play baseball.

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

Ugghh! I threw my back out really bad a few years ago. Then, to make it worse, I used heat instead of ice, so it swelled and got really bad. Andrew had to hold me on the pot when I had to go, I couldn't walk or even sit, it was awful. He ended up getting me a walker at goodwill so I could manage. When I went to the chiropractor it was actually beneficial and I realized that they aren't quacks or glorified massuesses. So at least I learned something. :) My advice: ICE. Also, lay on your back with your feet up on the couch, knees at a 90* angle. Eventually, gently work on your abs in crunches. To avoid future problems make sure to kept strengthening your core muscles (of course!!).
Wow! I'm wordy tonight!! P.S. Sorry about your chai.