Saturday, November 28, 2015

Happy Holidays

At work we now have to answer the phone, "Happy Holidays from BBB, this is Leslie, how can I help you."  Well yesterday when one of the employees answered the phone, the lady on the other end didn't like her saying "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" so she started complaining about it.  The employee was caught off guard and said, "What?"  The lady said, "You heard what I said.  Repeat back to me what I said."  The employee was still confused as to what was going on and what the lady wanted.  That of course didn't help the situation and the lady was mad.  She asked what time we closed and sadly the employee didn't know because each night is different now that it is the "holidays".  They lady said, "You should know.  Why don't you know?  Let me speak to a manager."  The employee was in tears at this point and transferred her to a manager.  The manager listened to the complaint and told the employee to not let it get to her.

This really bugs me.  I would assume that the lady on the phone was a Christian because no one else cares if you say "Merry Christmas" or not.  But her attitude didn't seem to represent Christ (or Christmas for that matter).  And most people would realize that it isn't the employee who makes the choice as to what to say when you answer the phone so don't give them a hard time.  It was the day after Thanksgiving so it seems to early to start saying "Merry Christmas" anyway.  Plus we have Hanukkah next so saying "Happy Holidays" includes all holidays that people celebrate without excluding anyone.

I may have to say "Happy Holidays" to people just so I can share my thoughts with people who try to correct me.

No comments: