Thursday, March 26, 2015

Quarreling Characters - for my writing course

Jenny and her mom walked into JC Penny’s at the mall.  Her mom had told her that she wanted to take her shopping for something special today.  Jenny had no idea but hoped it was some new jeans.  She was growing and her jeans were turning into high waters.  Money was tight though, so she didn’t ask for them.  But they didn’t walk to the jeans section, they walked to the lingerie area.

“Here we are, Jenny.  I think we should buy you some bras.”  

Jenny was 12 and just starting to blossom.  She wore little tank tops under her t-shirts and was fine with that.  But apparently her mom had a different idea.

“Oh my gosh mom, this is so embarrassing!”  Jenny said.
“Honey, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about, women have to buy bras all the time.”
“But why do I have to be here?  Can’t you just do it without me?”

Jenny’s mom walked over to the young girl bras and pulled one off the rack.  There were bras with Little Kitty decals, Minnie Mouse, and flowers.  Apparently apparel companies thought 5 year olds needed bras by the looks of how they decorated them.

“I’m not touching that!” Jenny said under her breath.

And then the most horrible thing happened.  A sales lady came over.

“Can I help you?”
“Oh yes, we are looking for a training bra.  Do you have a tape measure so I can see what size my daughter needs?”
“MOTHER!” Again, under her breath.  “Just buy some and we can take them home to try them on.  I’m not going to get measured!”
“Honey, it’s really no big deal.” Jenny’s mom said.  But Jenny wasn’t listening, she had walked to the end of the aisle where there were some socks.  She busied herself looking like socks were the most interesting item in the store.
“Jenny, this is ridiculous, it’s just a bra.”  Jenny’s mom said a little too loudly.
“Oh my gosh, mom.  Just pick out one and let’s go.  I’m not going to try it on.  I just want to get out of here.  This is so lame.”
“I want to make sure it fits though.  I don’t want to drive back here to return it.  So go try it on.”
Jenny’s eyes teared up.  She didn’t want to try on a bra.  She didn’t want to touch the thing.  And she definitely didn’t want to do it here.  
Jenny’s mom saw the tears and gave in.  Buying a bra shouldn’t be a big deal, but it seemed like Jenny was going to fall apart if she pushed her, so she said, “Sorry Honey, it’s not a big deal, but we can just buy two and make dad return them if they don’t fit.”
This made Jenny smile.

“Then let’s buy the biggest, ugliest bra there is.  And I want to watch dad return it.”

No comments: