Tuesday, August 6, 2013

News Blues

Today's newspaper made me sad as I read it.  I read an article about a gang-rape court case that the accused were released.  It made me really sad and a bit mad.  The incident happened in December.  Five law students were accused of holding a sixteen year old girl and raping her over several weeks.  She had at one point been able to identify them, but at the hearing she said she didn't recognize them, so they were released.

This makes me mad because the judicial system sucks.  There should be enough evidence that the guys would be held responsible.  If they had killed her they couldn't rely on her testimony, so why if she now refuses to identify them would they let them off.

I am sad because I imagine the girl and her family were threatened.  I imagine that the boys had a lot of power on their side. 

And I am angry that these guys could in the future be lawyers or even judges.  They are corrupt and the system failed this girl.  Justice was not done.

No comments: