Monday, August 5, 2013

The Fear of the Lord

We have been reading Proverbs in the morning at breakfast time.  It has been really good to read with Micah as he has started back to school.  The first few chapters talk about wisdom and understanding and how important they are to get.

So I was thinking just now about the fear of the Lord and what it means.  I guess there is a sense of fear in breaking God's laws or doing something that you know is against what God says is good.  I was thinking especially of kids who leave home for college and rebel against the faith they have been taught.  Could the fear of the Lord keep them from rebelling?  For sure there is a sense of wisdom involved in that.  I mean, you want your child to grow in his faith and choose the path that is good for him, which means following Jesus.  So if your child decides that partying and sleeping around and trying to get away with cheating is an okay thing to do, then they are lacking wisdom.  The passage says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  So if a person actually did fear, as in a scared sense, then it would be good in a way.

I don't want my child to be scared of God.  But if you think of it as a parent/child relationship, isn't there a bit of fear involved?  If I knew that I was doing something that my parents had told me not to do, then I would do it with a bit of fear.  I would know that if I got caught I would be in trouble.  And not just trouble.  I would know that they would be disappointed.  That was worse then trouble.  That kind of fear isn't bad to have towards God, is it?  If it keeps someone from doing wrong, is that good?

I will keep thinking about the fear of the Lord and what all it means to us as we raise our son.  I know for sure that I want him to have the fear of the Lord if it is the beginning of all wisdom.  I want a wise son.

No comments: