Thursday, November 10, 2011

Saved a Life Today

Well maybe not.... but I might have. I gave blood today for a friend who has Dengue Fever. She needed my platelets. So in a way, my platelets are helping to save her life. Therefore, I am a hero.

This is the first time to donate blood in India. It turns out that all my experience donating plasma in America really paid off. It was just the same.

A friend and I went to the hospital to donate for another friend. First we filled out a form and they asked us questions, then we did the finger prick. For some reason, my friend's veins weren't good enough to donate plasma or platelets, so she just donated blood. We really didn't ever find out why she couldn't give platelets too, but whatever. We just go with the flow, not completely understanding what is going on.

The nurses were really nice to us. One sat with me the whole time. And when I got hungry, she went and got a small pack of cookies. And she fed me. She put the cookie in my mouth. So sweet.

It is different to donate plasma (platelets) when you know the person who will be receiving them. She and I will be blood sisters. A part of me is in her. And it is really special if it helps her get better. This has changed how I feel about donating. I am more willing to donate blood or plasma now because I really see the benefits to a sick person. I wonder how many people are walking around with little bits of me in them.

No comments: