Monday, November 14, 2011

Communication

I just tried to order pizza on the phone. This can sometimes be a tedious feat. It was tonight. Here was my conversation.

"Hello Domino's.. would you like to try our gabalygook pidally poop something or other special blahdi blah blah?"

Me: "Hello? My phone number?"
"Yes, go ahead"
Me: "Nine seven"
"Nine double"
Me: "one double seven"
"one double double"
Me: "four seven"
"four double"
Me: "eight four eight"
"Is this your first time calling?"
Me: "No"
"Give me your number again"
Me: "Nine seven"
"Nine double"
Me: "No, nine seven"
"Nine double"
Me: "No double, seven."
"double"
Me: "No double. Let me try again. Nou sath (trying my Hindi)"
"Nine seven"
Me: "ek sath sath"
"eight seven"
Me: "No, Hindi mai (in Hindi) ek, ek"
"eight"
Me: Is there someone else I can talk to?"
Silence
Me: "Let me try again. In Hindi. Nou sath, ek sath"
"nou sath, eight sath"
Me: "No, in Hindi. Ek! One!
This went on like this for a few more painful moments until finally she handed the phone to a guy who got it right the first time.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like a patience test. I hate those! I'd just order butter chicken and that spicy daal stuff.

Missing you guys.