Tuesday, July 28, 2009

not good looking, rats!

Steve will be going to a friends' house to see if he can help solve their rat problem. It seems they have a rat the size of a hamster in one of the cupboards. I personally think they would know more about what to do since they use to live in a house with a rat problem. Once they came home from a weekend away and found rat droppings under their pillows.

The other day one of the ladies who comes for aerobics was talking with me over chai. Her four daughters were with her. And we had a friend of ours and her three daughters also. Our friend has some physical problems that have caused her hands and feet to be deformed. So we were talking about how in India it would be really difficult for a lady with any kind of "defect" to find a husband. Any little scar could mean singlehood or becoming a second wife. Our muslim friend commented, "My in-laws are not very attractive people and unfortunately my daughters have taken after them. But I only look on the inside." Can you believe it??!!! Right in front of her daughters too. My American friend said to the girls that they are very beautiful. I just gasped. Probably not the best reaction. Anyway, I wonder how hurtful her comments are to her girls. And I wonder how much she must be hurt herself.

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

Reminds me of the obnoxious mom in Pride and Prejudice. Is there a difference culturally in what would be hurtful? Already a value is put on you in the exchange of marriage, right?
I would think a hamster size rat would be a young one. Some of those NY rats are cat size!! YUCK!