Friday, July 3, 2009

Counting the days!

We are counting the days until our trip to Thailand. So excited. And so needing a rest. This has been the hottest summer in ten years, so the newspaper says. Thankfully we have had good electricity with very few power cuts. There was a week of no water, but our tank was full, so we didn't even realize it. Now the monsoon has started. It is a bit weak, but cooler none the less.

The month of June was busy for our house. We had visitors almost constantly. By the end of the month I was almost out of my hospitality desire. I just needed a day of no one but the three of us in our house.

We have also been working with friends to try to get a young girl moved into a hostel. She is the 11 year old daughter of a prostitute and the mother would like her to be in a better place. The problem was that the "father" was not in town or for some reason wasn't signing the paper that needed signing. Today it all worked out. I really didn't have anything to do with it, but prayer. I saw the mother and daughter today on their way to the hostel, where the girl will live with eleven other girls and some wonderful Christian ladies taking care of them. They will all go to school and get tutoring. They will be well fed and cared for. As I met the mother today she told me she wants me to come visit her more. This excites me. I really enjoyed spending time with her in the brothel and I desire to show the ladies love.

A couple days ago I was talking with some young ladies who were staying with us. We were sitting at the kitchen table and I noticed someone had written on the table. It said, "No Fat". I asked Steve about it and he said that our friend who was over for an English lesson had done it. I had guessed that it was him since it isn't the first item of furniture to be written on. I was mad. It was not just written on the table, but permanently marked in the wood. Once he had written on Micah's bedroom wall "Micah room". I still don't understand the writting on walls in this culture, but you see it in many houses.

Yesterday after aerobics several of the ladies and I went to one lady's house for chai. It was a wonderful visit with lots of food. We had freshly made pizza, pastry puffs, cheese cake, chai and cookies. A nice after workout snack.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hope you have a great time in Thailand. I have started doing step aerobics here in the us. it is great to be able to do this again

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

I'm excited for the relationships you're forming with the ladies at the brothel. Oh how they need to experience the love of Jesus. I'll pray for this opportunity.

Side note: a glass of ours spontaneously burst on the table. I would've been extremely concerned except for your post months ago about that happening to you.