Monday, June 8, 2009

Anxiety and fears

The other day while we were having an aerobics class at my house, a car drove down our street with their stereo so loud that it shook our walls. I froze for a second and immediately my mind went to "Earthquake!" I didn't yell it (thankfully)and realized it was just a stereo. But I realized I have a fear of earthquakes. Whenever there is a loud rumble or something shakes, I shift to disaster mode. I start thinking of how to best escape the house or protect those around me from the walls crumbling down. Why is that? I have gone through a few earthquakes. They usually aren't that big, but one was the big one in Pakistan and we felt it a bit here. So now when there is a small earthquake that I feel, I think, "Boy, somewhere that must have been big."

My other fear is tsunamis. I guess it goes along with earthquakes since it is an earthquake at sea that causes a tsunami. So now whenever I go to the coast (which isn't much) I fear a tsunami. I watch the ocean and if there seems to be any receding of the water I am ready to grab my son and run away. I watch the birds to see if they are acting strange. I figure the animals will be my first signal of the doom coming my way.

God is our refuge and strength,

A very present help in trouble.

Therefore will we not fear, though the earth do change,

And though the mountains be shaken into the heart of the seas;

Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled,

Though the mountains tremble with the swelling thereof.

Selah

Psalms 46

No comments: