Fears

I went to a ladies retreat last week.  The topic of the retreat was on fear.  I didn't really feel I had a lot of fears.  My big one was worrying that my hair was falling out and how I would look bald.  But then came Sunday.  Nothing fearful happened on Sunday, I just remembered how Sundays use to be for me.

In India I was fearful.  The roads scared me.  So driving to church on Sunday morning was sometimes too much for me.  I would skip church just so I didn't have to go in the car.  I was scared of road rage I guess.  I had seen angry people do some pretty crazy stuff.  I remember when I was driving and Micah was in the front seat and we saw a motorcycle get pushed off the road into a pile of bricks.  The motorcyclist was okay.  He got up and picked up a brick and charged for the car with his arm raised like he was going to smash the other driver with it.  I remember Micah slouching down in the seat as we watched in horror.  I remember our friend coming over with a cut face because a driver got mad at him and slugged him in the face.  I remember our first few months in India and the time a man came up to our driver and yelled at him.  I didn't want to see Steve get hurt or to have Micah see it.  So I wanted Steve to drive very calmly and cautiously.  But he didn't see my fear.  So most times we were together in the car, I was uptight.

And then there was church.  I was fearful in church.  I remember that first year in India when the church in Pakistan was attacked and several people were killed.  The church that was attacked was a church that foreigners went to.  So sometimes when tensions were high and security along with it, I would be fearful at church.  And when there was any commotions during the service my blood pressure went up.  I imagined us dropping to the floor to avoid being shot.  I would cover Micah with my body.  We went to a well known international church without security so it seemed like an easy target.

As I sat in church last Sunday I realized how unafraid I was.  I was calm.  The drive there was easy and I had no stress.  My only uneasiness is the social time after church, but I'm working on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To fear or not to fear, that is the question

Stump