Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Christmas in America

This will be our first Christmas in America in a long time.  I'm not looking forward to it.  I have a job in retail and just last night we set up the Christmas merchandise.  As I was unloading boxes of stuff I almost felt sick.  Who needs all this stuff?

First I unpacked the stocking hooks.  These are different shaped items that sit on a shelf and have a hook to hang your stocking on.  There are ones shaped like trees, reindeer, and trains.  And then since we live near the ocean there are also ones shaped like lighthouses and anchors.

Then I got to unpack the bathroom Christmas section.  And that is when I started to feel sick.  10 different shower curtains to choose from with all the collection of towels, soap dispensers, and even toilet lid covers.  Who spends a hundred bucks to decorate a bathroom?

As I finished up and went home I thought through all the items and realized not a single one had anything to do with Jesus.  No manger scenes, no angels, no wisemen.  Just snowmen and holly.  America has taken Jesus' birthday completely out of Christmas.  

No comments: