Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Oh Indians

We flew to Thailand last night with a plane full of Indians.  It is not surprising to be on a plane full of Indians when you leave from India.  And it is probably 90% men usually.  It seems like many of those people on the plane feel like college students going on a Spring Break trip.  They are loud, having fun, and drinking.

I got irritated with the people around me.  This also happens after being in India for six months.  I am usually at my cultural stress breaking point.  The three men in front of me where probably brothers in their 50's.  They are all quite large.  Most likely they had a bit too much to drink.  So when we were around an hour from landing they wanted more food, but the food service was closed.  So they were giving the flight attendant a hard time and pushing the call button over and over again and asking for food.  Then they said they would have water.  But when the flight attendant brought the water they said they only wanted water with their food so if there was no food they didn't want the water.

I also got irritated that we were in turbulence and the people wouldn't sit down.  Young guys were standing up leaning over the back of their seats to talk to their friends and singing songs.  I kind of wished they would get knocked over. 

The thing with Indians on air planes is that they aren't concerned with safety and there are strict guidelines that all air planes have to enforce.  But how do you make people wear their seat belts?  And people almost always stand up to get their baggage down before we get off the tarmac.  I think they are so use to trains, where you have to rush to get off, so they act the same way.

I like rules.  And I like people to follow rules.

No comments: