Saturday, December 19, 2009

Another fear

I remember something else, besides earthquakes and tsunamis, that I am afraid of. I have a fear of attacks at church and hotels. Of course that fear would be because of the attacks in Pakistan at a church and the attacks last year at the Taj Hotel in Bombay.

A few months ago while our pastor was preaching, there was loud commotion outside a door at the front of the gym (that is where we have church). In my mind I was figuring out the best action plan for the attack. I would fall to the ground and cover myself with the plastic chair. I realized that would give me absolutely no protection from bullets, but maybe they wouldn't notice me and wouldn't shoot me. It turned out to be nothing so I didn't have to go to the floor.

A couple weeks ago we had a visitor at our church that was at the church in Pakistan when it was attacked. He is now deaf in one ear because he was too close to a grenade that exploded. That brings my fear back into the forefront of my mind.

So the other thing that scares me is hotels. This week is our church's Christmas Eve service which is held at the Hyatt Hotel here. I remember last year, being just a couple of weeks after the horrible terrorist attack in Bombay, and how I was noticing the lack of security. I realized there are so many ways a person could get in to the hotel and shoot us all.

I am tempted not to go to the Christmas Eve service. Too much anxiety for me I think. But my parents will be here and I would like them to have a nice Christmas Eve, so we will probably go. I am sure I will again choose my seating wisely, maybe behind a pillar or something to block the bullets.

No comments: