Sunday, August 31, 2008

another month

September has begun. This month Ramadan is celebrated. I believe it starts tomorrow. That means our friends will be fasting. It also means that at sunset time we get to celebrate the breaking of the fast with them. This is a great time to gather with friends and eat a really quick snack. The minute the alarm sounds you are suppose to put something in your mouth and start eating. They don't want people to wait because then you might become proud that you kept the fast longer than someone else. There is usually fruit, dates, some fried snacks, some sort of boiled beans like garbonzo beans, and water. After you quickly eat, the men go to the mosque to pray. The women hurry and make the evening meal. People go to bed early during Ramadan because they have to get up early.

I like the month of Ramadan because of the community feel. Everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. You may send a plate of food to a neighbor right before sunset so that they can enjoy your food. Everyone is excited for the breaking of the fast. And I like that people go to bed earlier. Usually people eat dinner around 9 or 10, but during Ramadan it is like 7 or 8. Then they get up before sunrise to eat some food and drink a bunch of water. All throughout the day they aren't even suppose to drink water.

So I like Ramadan, but I am thankful that I don't have to follow a fast in order to know eternal life. God accepts me how I am.

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

It does seem like other cultures have more whole community holidays. Not just your own family celebrating together, but "everyone" participates. I would like that, too!