Thursday, March 3, 2016

Israelites Complain a Lot

Recently I read the Bible story of Moses leading the people of Israel out of Egypt.  I was thinking about the part where the people were grumbling about not having water and then God provided water through Moses hitting the rock.  And then not long after that (not sure how long in time it was, but in the Bible it was short) they complained about something else.  They kept saying that Moses brought them out of Egypt so that they would now die in the desert.

The people complained about Moses but in reality they were complaining about God.  I started to think about myself.  I find myself complaining about how some people have hurt me and all the life changes it has brought.  We have had to move, change jobs, leave friends, and start over in a way all because of what happened.  I start blaming people for my predicament.  I say, “If they wouldn’t have done such and such we would still have the skate park.”  Or, “If they didn’t do that, Micah wouldn’t have had to leave his friends.”  But as I saw the reality of the Israelites I realized it was exactly what I was doing.  I was complaining about what someone did but it was really what God had done.  I know that God is ultimately in control of all that happens in my life and he is the one who brought the big changes in our life.  So my complaints are actually towards God.  “God, why did you do this to us?  Why did we have to go through this?  How could you allow this to happen?”  


As I thought about all of this I again turned to God and said, “God, I trust that you are leading us to a good place.  You are moving us forward.  You are with me.  You have set me free.  You are a good God.”

1 comment:

Don Camp said...

It is one of the things we learn as we get older. It is called maturity.